Yes, you can, though I don't really thing it's the right way to go.
Basically you use the body content of the <s:set> tag to set the variable to
the value of a scriplet expression like so:

<s:set value="fred"><%= myVar%></s:set>

Again, there are much better ways of coding modern web applications that
resorting to scriplets and I would certainly take the time to eradicate all
scriplets from your code as soon as you can, you will be happy you did.
  (*Chris*)