On 05/05/2011 03:04 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
On 5/5/11 2:41 PM, Jens Grivolla wrote:
On 05/05/2011 01:55 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
On 5/5/11 1:44 PM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
That sounds like one more good reason to do that. Another one I thought
of is that it is confusing when you add an annotation which you cannot
see afterward.

So lets open a jira and do this enhancement.

Here is the jira:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2137

Do you think this dialog fixes the problem you reported initially with
the editor annotation mode?

Yes, I think that would work quite well for us. One issue with setting
the shortcuts based on the full type system is that in our case at
hand some of the annotation types we need don't get assigned a shortcut.

Nice, I will try to fix this quickly for you.

Thanks, that's great.  I think that could be a significant time saver.

At least on my system (Eclipse Helios on Ubuntu 10.10) the Shift+Enter
shortcut does not work, and will be treated as an unmodified Enter,
i.e. no selection list appears. I haven't tried yet on other systems
because I need to install the updated plugins first.

Ok, I will investigate that. But then this was not the system where you
experienced the hang issue in the 2.3.1 version?

As you said, the freeze was due to the shortcut creation when the type system is too big, and it ocurred on all machines.

I sometimes have to press return twice to get a "quick annotation", too, and on a different machine (Eclipse Helios on Windows XP) it worked even less, to the point that I had to use the context menu. On that machine the "edit view" was having problems, too, and I usually had to click on the feature name before being able to activate the feature value field. I haven't tried Shift+Enter on that machine.

I still think it would be nice to be able to change the mode from the
Outline view, but that feature would definitely have much lower
priority then.

Yes, I also believe that could be a good place to have it, please open a
jira issue for it.

done: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-2138

Do you also need to fill in feature values for each created annotation?

Yes, for many of them we do. Which brings me to another thing that
would be interesting for us: having preset feature values filled in
automatically. We would be using that to automatically fill in the
annotator's name on all annotations created by them.

This you can easily do when you pre-process the files you pass to the
annoator, or post-process when he gives them back.

I've been thinking about that option. It would be quite easy at the document level, but becomes a bit more complicated when each annotation can come from a different annotator and files get passed from one annotator to the next.

I believe we should start working here on tooling support for annotation
projects. There you typically have a collection of
documents which must be annotated by a team of annotators.

Yes, I think our situation is probably quite typical really.

Thanks,
Jens