Hi Phill,

from what i can see, you are sending persistant messages to a topic, this
means that if no one is listening on that topic, your messages will he
stored (aka held in memory) until someone listens on that topic. this would
explain why you run out of memory. Essentially you experiencing the "slow
consumer" issue: http://activemq.apache.org/slow-consumers.html

another issue might be that you are creating connections to activeMQ for
each message. this may be an issue on windows machines (atleast i know this
issue on WinXP) where it runs out of ports to assign for your connection. so
your might be better off using one connection to send 5000 messages atleast
on Windows machines.

hope this helps,

Regards,

Saqib