Rob, thanks for looking into this. I'll provide a summary of what I found here for anybody out there doing searches who might run across this issue:

Basically, if you create several (or many) connection objects, you end up with these threads piling up in the background. I've also experienced this same problem with the connection pool supplied with ActiveMQ.

What I've done for my producers is to only have one connection object per application lifecycle. This already seems to be working fine for me. It's not intuitive and, as Rob has confirmed, there's definitely a problem with AMQ that he is still fixing.

Thanks again.

phil.