One way is to look at the code that creates them, e.g. Destination tempDest
= session.createTemporaryQueue();

My gut tells me there should be a way to tell from JMX, but there's none
described on the JMX wiki page, so maybe not.  Someone else may know of
another way to tell.

But since you added a setting related to allowing temp queue auto-creation
and the behavior changed, I'd guess they are.

Kevin Burton is the person on the list who's worked most heavily/recently
with destination GCing, so I hope he'll jump into the discussion with some
insight into what might be causing the behavior you're seeing.
Sorry - I don't know if they are temp queues or not. How do I tell? From the
ComTypeDefinition that they are created from?