It looks like the check for networkSubscription is there for a reason,
described in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMQ-2327
The commit 6c5732b also mentions:

/key is not to conduit proxy/proxy consumers b/c the dependencies cannot be
easily resolved without more network traffic on additions to demand subs.
Maintaining the order of consumer advisories fixes duplicate suppression.
thanks for the easymock test. while brittle it did help focus on checkpaths
which was key
/

So the question remains, is the way I am doing it a proper way to do hub and
spoke? The current behavior means that if each spoke has an embedded broker
and if there are multiple spokes consuming a topic, then you can get
duplicate messages. Embedded brokers are useful on both producer and
consumer, because they allow me to not have to deal with reconnects (the
embedded broker takes care of that).

There is also a workaround, if I add any policy, then audit processing is
turned on and duplicate messages are removed. Is such a workaround
sufficient?

Thanks,
Tomas