I agree.

The fundamental problem you're hitting is that in ActiveMQ 5.x, a message
can exist in only one active broker, so networks of brokers move messages
around via store-and-forward, as you described. For a message to be
available to multiple brokers at the same time (such that it would still be
available if a broker went down) you would need active-active clustering,
which ActiveMQ 5.x doesn't support.

However, ActiveMQ Artemis does support that feature, so you might want to
consider switching to it to better support your use case.

Tim