> I DON'T want persistent messaging via KhahaDB (or jdbc). I don't want to
introduce a database, a NAS or shared folders (I'm on windows).

You could move to Artemis and use the network replication functionality
which doesn't use a database, NAS, etc.  The only concern here is with
split brain which is hard to mitigate with just 2 nodes.

> I DO want in memory behavior similar to it, where two brokers share their
messages (in memory) so that if both brokers die, messages can be lost.

In-memory, non-durable messages are, by definition, volatile which means
even with Artemis' network replication those messages won't be replicated.
However, the client and broker can be tuned so that you can achieve nearly
the same performance with durable messages (assuming that's your concern).
See more about that here [1].

Justin

P.S. You didn't answer my previous question about "prime-time" Artemis

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/activemq/entry/fast_messaging_with_artemis