> This is the issue I remember:  https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRM-1172
>
> My argument was the same -- if Maven thinks it's okay as a version
> number, why would Archiva think differently?
>
> It sounds like you are able to upload the artifact though, so it's not
> quite the same issue.  My upload was failing and saying "invalid
> version".

I  have hit that a number of times too.  It's incredibly frustrating,
especially because the validation is done server side, after the
entire file upload (which takes over an hour in some cases for me).

Through trial and error, I've discovered that the first character must
be a number... and I know there were some other illegal things I
tried, but I don't recall them again now (which means I'll get bit by
them again in the future... sigh)