On 02/08/2011, at 10:37 AM, Dan Armbrust wrote:

>> Is there anything in the logs at the time of the upload, or the next
>> time it tries to index?  I vaguely recall an issue with a similar
>> version number...
>>
>> -Wendy
>>

> I don't have access to the server in question, unfortunately.
>
> I also don't have a copy running locally at the moment to test.  I
> hoped it would be an easy enough thing to test for a developer :)
>
> I'm at a loss trying to understand how archiva deals with version
> numbers overall.
>
> It seems to have arbitrary, undocumented behavior within the validator
> (at least on the gui upload).  I don't see any reason at all why
> archiva should have a say over the makeup and composition of a version
> number.  At most, it would seem that the version number would need to
> be valid as a part of a file name across all OS platforms.  But beyond
> that, why should it care?

In a Maven repository, we need to parse the path sometimes to be able to
determine what the version and classifier are. That has been known to trip up
on non-standard versions in the past and we've built up some test cases. It
should be a simple bug to fix.

In trunk, we're moving to relying on that less - particularly in cases where it
is not important (such as here where everything is a Maven 2 repository and
there is a POM that describes the version for it). There's still some work to
do there.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter