From: Bryan Manske [mailto:br...@manske.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 3:30 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Public IPs on Guest VMs within CloudStack 4.2.0

All,

I'm still having issues with my CloudStack instances seeing the outside network
and vice versa.  I've verified that other non-CloudStack VMs in the same IP
subnet can see the default gateway and each other but they can't see the
CloudStack instances.  The CloudStack instances can ping the VR but not the
default gateway or any other non-CS VMs.  I'm using Xen Server 6.2 as the only
hypervisor for the moment and have set the network interface tags (cloud-public
and cloud-private) with "xe network-param-set name-label=cloud-public
uuid=<interface-uuid>" and "xe
network-
list" looks correct.  Am I missing tags in the network offering or somewhere
else?  I can't imagine that the CS VR would want to be the default gateway
itself but I suppose its possible.  I've even been looking at VLANs (tagged
versus untagged) at my network edge with no luck.
"xe-switch-network-backend" is set to bridged so maybe its an openvswitch
issue.  Big sigh.

I've debugged as far as I can and need a few suggestions on where to look next.

Thanks.

Regards,

Bryan Manske

Quoting Bryan Manske <br...@manske.org>:

> All,
>
> Now I'm curious about public IPs on Guest VMs within CloudStack 4.2.0.
>
> I have one IPv4 /27 for Public IPs and that's working fine.  Now what
> I want to do is assign a live IP address from another /27 to a Guest
> VM, which appears to work but can't actually touch the default gateway.
>
> So here's the rub: The default gateway is actually provided as a
> virtual IP on two VRRP nodes (for A/B redundancy) by my upstream
> provider.  I can ping the two VRRP routers, I can see the VM has the
> proper IP address, netmask, and default gateway; and I can configure
> the VM with a proper IP config which never finds the default gateway
> IP.  The arp cache sees the local MAC address and incomplete for the gateway.
>
> So now I'm thinking; according to cloudstack, is the default gateway
> plumbed on a virtual router?  If so, how does THAT route out to the world?
>
> I also have a /64 of IPv6 space, /96 of which I have configured in a
> network offering which has the same upstream infrastructure situation.
> Same lack of functionality there.
>
> So how do I configure my Guest real IP netblocks?  Is it okay to be
> looking for a default gateway IP on a my provider's core router or do
> I need to have them statically route that netblock to something like
> the cloudstack management host?
>
> Of course I could also have the network offering wrong or incomplete.
>
> Any thoughts or pointers to documentation would be appreciated.
>
> I can tell I'm making progress because I keep dealing with
> progressively higher level errors. :)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bryan Manske
>

> ---
> "Earnest falsehoods left unchallenged risk being accepted as fact."
>  -- Monty "xiphmont" Montgomery - Xiph Foundation, on the Ogg format
> ---

---