On 26.03.2014 14:42, Talk Jesus wrote:
I'd like to set up a public cloud for web hosting (cloud shared hosting,
cloud vps, cloud servers) for a new venture.

Hi, see below.

Server #1

Purpose: CloudStack Control Panel Install (Management Server)

Qty: 1

Dual Hexacore CPUs

32-64GB RAM

4 x 160GB SAS (RAID10)

This is OVERKILL if you ask me. I'd go with smaller, multiple servers. I for one have a 2 (for HA) management servers in the form of VMs, 2 GB RAM each, they're mostly idle, even one would have been enough.
Use this hardware for hypervisors.

Server #2

Purpose: Hypervisors (Memory) (is it better to simply have a singular,
beefed up CPU/Memory Management Server as above or separate from management
node?)

Qty: 1 or 2, plus 1 for failover

Dual Hexacore CPUs

128GB RAM

2 x 160GB SATA RAID1

Sounds good. Judging by the small HDDs I imagine you are using a SAN/NAS for storage.

It's better (IMHO) to have multiple management servers, see what I wrote above.

Server #3

Purpose: Backup Server

Qty: 1

Dual Hexacore CPUs

16GB RAM

12 x 2TB SAS RAID5 or RAID10

Looks perfect for Secondary Storage.

With cloud hosting, what would the difference be between a "cloud vps" and "cloud dedicated server"? If I'm not mistaken, they're the same, except the
allowance for a 'dedicated server' option would be much higher, right?

Never heard of "cloud vps" before.
No matter how you want to call them they are still virtual machines, these words are just marketing, nothing more. Everyone is free to market their products as they wish, there is no standard.

Last question: does anyone use this for automated provisioning with WHMCS or
do you recommend a better software?

Not me.

HTH
Lucian