Alexander,

There are a whole host of reasons why we only distribute a source version at present. When we get on with implemening cocoon blocks, all will change. For the time being, a source distribution is what we've got. (Reason for source distribution: it is the only simple way to allow a user to switch on and off different blocks and other bits within Cocoon). It is not possible at present to create a 'production build', as everyone will disagree as to what should go in 'their' production system.

I certainly agree that the CLI could be made easier to use. For example, I belive that at present, compiling Cocoon with the Authentication framework present, breaks the CLI. That should not happen.

The CLI should work by unpacking the source archive then doing:
build webapp
cocoon cli -x cli.xconf

and off it goes.

Over time I'll see what I can do to get it there.

Regards, Upayavira

Alexander Schatten wrote:

I want to start a new thread, because I had some "compilation problems" during still unsuccessful experiments with cli. but those are (at least partly) no cli matters:

(1) To the first point: I believe it to be an extremly bad idea not to provide an binary distribution, by many reasons, the following might be the most important:

-- a Cocoon newbie has enough to deal with; that he/she also has to compile the project is really daunting, believe me! I often hold XML courses and also try to introduce Cocoon ...

-- Compilation takes a lot of time; I detected between 5 and 30 minutes, depending on configuration and machine. Again: do we want to adress only experts? currently we do tax the patience of news users a lot before they can even start dealing with the main Cocoon issues...

-- If you want to create versions e.g. for production use, you have to invest a lot of time to understand which blocks might be excluded; recompilation needs a lot of time and so on... an enerving task!!

so:

(2) I believe, at least 2 or 3 binary distributions have to be available for download.

However, if by some reasons, I might not understand (yet), no binary distribution is provided, then *at least* some example build.properties should be part of the download like

-- the one currently delivered
-- properties, that make CLI working
-- minimal setup
-- production setup (without examples and documentation)

well, this is at least my opinion.

thank you

alex