Robin Rigby pisze:
Hi
I was pointed to the cocoon 2.2 trunk for an updated FOP serializer. Downloaded snapshot. Installed maven. Have error: ----------
Error building POM (may not be this project's POM).
Project ID: org.apache.cocoon:cocoon:pom:5-SNAPSHOT
Reason: Cannot find parent: org.apache:apache for project: org.apache.cocoon:cocoon:pom:5-SNAPSHOT for project org.apache.cocoon:cocoon:pom:5-SNAPSHOT
Tried > mvn clean install - no help Found a thread on cocoon-dev with a reply from Jorg Heymans: "well as it says it cannot find the parent pom of our pom, chances are you've configured a mirror that doesn't have that pom. A good thing to do here is to check manually if your repo actually has that file."

I think Joerg was right when giving this advice.

Sorry, I only downloaded maven today and the readme lets me believe it should compile 'out out the box'. What should I do, please?

Yes, it's correct that it should work "out of the box" and it works, really. If you didn't configure anything Maven should use it's standard mirror (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/) and the missing pom is there.

You should check if you are behind a proxy server/firewall that may block Maven. It could be also temporary failure of mirror (however, very unlikely, I have not experienced such failure for months). Maven provides some info about mirrors it tries, consider more careful reading of its output or paste it here so we can help you further.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski