IMHO, developers tend to mirror the general population in that the majority
follow the herd. The habits of imperative Java programming and the
not-invented-here syndrome meant that Cocoon was only ever going to appeal
to a minority of enlightened developers.

Maven is a head f&*ck for the average Joe and so perhaps Cocoon 2.2 is a
bridge too far. The paradigm shift to XML pipelines is enough to cope with.
I'm still working with 2.11 and it works fine for me.