David Beasley wrote:
I'm looking for help with starting to use Cocoon 2.2. I've looked at the website (cocoon.apache.org), but havent found very much in terms of introductory guides, tutorials, etc.
Tutorials are something that is really lacking. I don't know if it is me, but I think that documentation on open source projects seem to have gotten worse over the years.

One observation I have made is looking at a lot of the blog entries I have stumbled upon via Google, it seems a lot of people are n't looking at the docs to find out how Cocoon 2.2 works. Instead, most people seem to be diving into the code. This is far from optimal.

I'm just about to embark on a new project, which will involve handling SOAP requests, fetching data from an Oracle database, and returning reports as XML documents. I'd like to use Cocoon 2.2 for this, but I'm concerned about the apparent lack of support for it.

Can anyone suggest any resources that will help me get started with Cocoon 2.2?

I've got a book on Cocoon 2.0 (Langham & Ziegeler), and I have a tiny amount of experience with Cocoon 2.0. I'm wondering if I would just be better off using Cocoon 2.0, as there seems to be more support for this.

I would recommend starting off by playing with Cocoon 2.1 and then moving to Cocoon 2.2 once you have some confidence with Cocoon 2.1. Just don't worry too much about XSPs as they are deprecated in Cocoon 2.2
Having said this, I see that the Cocoon wiki (http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon) hasnt been updated since Jan 2008, that there's no FAQ for 2.2, and that no books on Cocoon have been published in the past 5 years. I'm concerned that interest in and support for Cocoon is dying out. Would I be better off choosing a completely different technology for my project?
I don't think the focus should be on the wiki. The daisy website (for all its navigational flaws) provides much better documentation. I would love to contribute code and documentation to Cocoon, but considering my last contribution (which was over 1 year ago) hasn't been released, I wonder if there is a point.

--
Kamal Bhatt