We've been using Cocoon 2.1.* for some time now, but we haven't really been doing a proper build. We've been building the sample app, and using that as a development base, adding new pipelines and sitemaps, and eventually, removing the samples directory before deploying.

I've started to look at 2.2, thinking it made more sense to learn the 2.2 build process with Maven that to continue on 2.1, but I'm having so many problems just getting the
"getting started" to work, that I'm having second thoughts.

I've gotten as far as "Deploying a Cocoon application" :
        <http://cocoon.apache.org/2.2/1362_1_1.html

But I had to add a few extra maven steps to get that far.

I had to do a 'mvn package' on myBlock1 & myBlock2 to get the jars built, so that later do 'mvn install:install-file ... -Dfile=... ' to manage
  to get 'mvn jetty:run' to work without error.
Perhaps these differences from the documented steps are due to Mac OS 10.5
  having a newer version of Maven installed:

mvn --version

Apache Maven 2.2.0 (r788681; 2009-06-26 09:04:01-0400)
Java version: 1.5.0_20
Java home: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/ Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
OS name: "mac os x" version: "10.5.8" arch: "i386" Family: "unix"

Now, I'm up to trying to join the 2 blocks in a webapp.
After adding the block dependencies to my pom.xml, 'mvn jetty:run' gives this warning:

Could not instantiate listener
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
[ ... stack trace ... ]

Searching the mailing list archives, I see this error mentioned as a result if you DON'T add block dependencies to an empty webapp, but I have added these dependencies
to pom.xml ( and I've 'mvn install' -ed  myBlock1 & myBlock2 )

  <dependencies>

        <dependency>
                <groupId>edu.virginia.lib</groupId>
                <artifactId>myBlock1</artifactId>
                <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
                <groupId>edu.virginia.lib</groupId>
                <artifactId>myBlock2</artifactId>
                <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
        </dependency>

  </dependencies>

Any idea about what else I'm missing ?

Is the cocoon 2.2 documentation all wrong ?
Or are these differences due to changes in maven and it's defaults ?

-- Steve Majewski / UVA Alderman Library