Benson Margulies wrote:
Why are you using tomcat at all if you don't want it to control the
endpoint? Why not just launch the endpoint from a plain Java main via the
embedded jetty?
Because when I have 100+ endpoints I want to have a place where I can see them all; start and stop them all; fail them all over to a standby; monitor them all; etc. I could, of course, write my own wrapper to control a load of independent java apps, but using an existing Tomcat is much simpler and almost certainly more reliable. The ability to hot deploy is crucial, so putting everything in one app won't work (without even more work from me).

I'd be very happy to find that there is a better way of doing this, but separate apps isn't it and a single app isn't it.

An ESB ought to be an option, however my experience with them has shown that although it's going to take me more work to get my first proxy set up this way, after that the time to deploy and maintain each individual proxy will be much less using POJOs rather than ESB constructs.

Thanks

Jim