Hello Thomas,

On Jun 23, 2010, at 10:34 , Thomas Lefort wrote:

> I have been scouring the web for an OSGi bundle that would enable an
> application to graphically chain processes together and start/stop them
> dynamically.

> In short what I need is something similar to what Graphedit (part of the
> DirectX SDK) does or used to do (I haven't touched that stuff in a while).
> Basically I would have OSGi bundles exposing processing capabilities and I
> want to auto discover and display these in a GUI and be able to chain them
> and run them when the chaining is complete.

This generic capability can be provided by the Wire Admin specification, which
allows you to define components and wire them together. How you wire stuff is
something you can configure, so you can either write a component that
automatically creates wires, or you create a GUI that allows the user to create
them. As far as I know there is not "off the shelf" component that does that
for you.

A Java library we have used to graphically chain components is Ptolemy II (see
http://ptolemy.berkeley.edu/ptolemyII/), which is a very flexible toolkit and
includes both a runtime and GUI editors. In this case you need to OSGi-ify this
library yourself (which I know is possible since we did that in a commercial
project).

Greetings, Marcel