Jan and Thomas:

Thanks for your responses.

Answering Jan's questions: As for whiteboarding: included in the runtime
dependencies is the bundle org.osgi.service.http.whiteboard, which I believe
is the whiteboarding service you are referring to. I figured that it was
whiteboarding being used because everything seems to be annotated and the
whiteboarding bundle was included as a dependency. The bottom line: I
believe I am using the whiteboarding bundle...

Answering Thomas' questions:

 I am using Firefox and Chrome, though the problem occurs regardless of the
browser I use (note: I never use IE unless I absolutely have to, and I
haven't had to for quite a while now!). The failure is not occurring in the
browser. What is clear is that the servlet is not being registered.
Consequently, the mechanisms for receiving a connection request from the
client simply are not activated.

One other matter: you mention a package missing from the latest Jetty
bundle: org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.jsr356. I have confirmed that this is
not in my Jetty bundle. Do you know where I can get a bundle with this
package? My search for it seems to find plenty of descriptions of the
WebSocketServerContainerInitializer class (lots of copies of the Javadoc)
but I can't seem to find any bundles containing this package even on the
Maven Repository. I'd like to see whether including it will make my
application work. Do you know where I can get this package?