So here's what I've just done in bndtools.

Created a project that has three bundles in it, test.api, test.command,
test.provider. All versions (package, bundle) are initialised to 1.0.0.
Set up the project so that it will release to a maven repository.
Run the "gradle release" command line option.
I now have a "1.0.0" version of the bundle in my maven repository.
Set up baselining. This requires nothing more than adding:
"-baseline:*"
To my build.bnd configuration file. I don't have to say "baseline against
version X" etc and keep that up to date.

Then, literally ALL I did was change the method signature on one of the
methods.
I get, immediately, errors such as:
The method 'say(java.lang.String)' was removed, which requires a MAJOR change
to the package.
versioning.test.api: The bundle version (1.0.0/1.0.0) is too low, must be at
least 2.0.0

I resolve all of the issues and I now have my package and bundle version
numbers at 2.0.0, which is what they need to be given the change in the source
code.
I get the same errors if I run the gradle build that bndtools produces for you.

Note, I didn't first bump the versions, then make the code change. ALL I did
was make the code change.

So I don't think what I'm trying to do is unreasonable. I don't have to
remember to bump any versions, I get build failures unless I do. Perfect.

This is what I'm trying to replicate, but in a project that wasn't originally
written with bndtools. I thought maven might be a simpler route as it's used
elsewhere, and I naively thought I might be able to do it using the bnd plugin
for maven, since it exposes the baseline facility.

Clearly I can't. Clearly my world view doesn't align with maven's. That's fine.

I will refocus my efforts on trying to do the same thing in gradle, where I
think I will have more success.