Be very careful with overwriting a release version. It is easy to configure a maven repository like artifactory to allow that but you will have problems in other places.

The crucial problem is with the local maven repo. Maven updates snapshots in a configurable way but it never updates release versions. So if maven downloaded a 1.0.0 version of an artifact once it will never overwrite it again or even check if there is a new version.

So if you want to use continuous deployment then you either need to use snapshots .. which makes the releases not really reproducible or you need to use an automatic release process that simply increases a version and does the full release process.

Christian