Hello

I am at the very beginning of a new project to develop a Flex UI to be
placed within a web page for accessing training content. Think of BBC
iPlayer, Lynda.com, iTunes etc. (but on a very small scale!). The training
content comprises several hundred Lessons. The Lessons are simple static web
pages which are grouped into Topics. Courses are simple collections of
Lessons grouped by their Topics. The new Flex UI simply allows the user to
browse/find content from where they then jump to the corresponding Course or
Lesson.

Users will have several ways of finding training courses or browsing
individual Lessons through an engaging and simple UI.

The first generation, and current, of this was developed in Flash
Professional and the swf file read an XML file which we had to keep updated
as more content was added. It works well and requires nothing of the hosting
environment so portability is simple.

This time I may need a slightly more sophisticated database providing
relationships between data tables and a simple way of providing Search and
filtering capability for the user.

I recognise that I only know what I know and my database experience has been
limited to SQL in a .NET environment so I am looking for your experiences.

So my question is: what would you suggest for a contemporary, simple
database to allow my Apache Flex built swf file to access data resulting in
a dynamic user experience?

Thank you.