Hi
   We are just completing a similarly project XML content flex to build
screens, you could keep  the backend simple and using php with a database this
will work well, saying that we build a simple nodeJS server and used mongoDB,
for the database and it has worked very well, as we make small changes to the
database mongoBD accommodates with out any problem

In the end we build a app to allow the teacher to manage the XML, then I
created a generator to take teacher created content in to what I needed for XML
to drive the app

Happy to share out server code and experance, contact me directly if you want
anything

Sent from my iPad