Thanks everyone

My client will be hosting my Flex developed swf within Moodle which I
believe uses PHP and MySQL so this appears to be the way forward. I will
start looking for a carefully developed example to follow. If anyone can
recommend any good reference material/videos for developing a Flex swf
integrating PHP/MySQL I would be grateful.