Couple of notes on this:

The Apache Software Foundation (ASF) does not currently take “directed
donations”.  That means that if you send in a check to the ASF, you can’t
dictate that it goes only to Flex, it only goes to the general fund and is
shared by all projects.  There are many ongoing discussions to change
that, but even then, there are likely to be restrictions on using the
funds to pay developers.  Directed funds are likely to go for servers,
events, marketing, but not development.  There is a strong ASF sentiment
towards never having the ASF pay any developer directly.  I’m not sure of
the reason, but it may just be that then the unpaid volunteers will start
asking to be paid to contribute.

So, the proposed solutions are for folks to come up with their own ways to
pool money including crowd funding sites.  But the model that the ASF
commonly promotes is this:  Companies that want to support development of
a project should simply hire developers to work on that project.  No need
to try to form a consortium or foundation and deal with tracking the money
and taxes.  Just hire someone to do the work or to do your work so you can
contribute.  If you have extra money to donate to the ASF, spend that
money on hiring a Flex developer, even part-time.  I can guarantee you
that if Adobe stops paying me to work on Flex, I’ll be trying to stitch
together a living by working on Flex by trying to get companies to pay me
to work on Flex.

Live Support is a tricky topic.  A couple of big companies I’ve talked to
want another big company to pick up support for Flex.  Not sure who a
candidate would be, but in the ASF, live support is a community thing.
There are folks watching the mailing list essentially 24/7 already.  But
that’s not good enough for these big companies.  Adobe has only promised 5
years of support for Flex.  Not sure when the deadline is up, or if Adobe
will immediately stop at the 5 year point, but as we near the 5 year
point, it will be interesting to see which big companies still want Flex
support and if we can convince some other big company to pick up the ball
if Adobe no longer wants it.

-Alex