Alright!!!  Now we are getting somewhere! Passing the ArrayCollection to a
standard Array cut the time in Half!  From almost 50 minutes down to 23
minutes.  So here is the breakdown now:

Total time = 1396 sec
ObjectProxy.getProperty --> 804 sec
Garbarge Collection --> 198 sec
ObjectProxy.setProperty --> 25 sec
(times related to the ArrayCollection previously are gone!)

I wish there was a way to get rid of some of that ObjectProxy time.
Regardless of it is is an object or an objectproxy or a bindable named
class, there is still going to be some time involved in plucking the data
out of the array to work on.  I don't know how severe of a penalty it is
that the data is inside of an ObjectProxy.  But I also don't understand how
to use the bindable named class either.

The way that it works is I am reading ALL of the data from a database
(SELECT * FROM main), and making the results the source of my
mainArrayCollection that displays in my datagrid and is used in all of my
calculations.  I don't know how to go about taking that data and assigning
it to a bindable class.  Taking each object and converting it to an
objectproxy was a really easy process.  If you think that it would help my
speed problems, could you help me to understand how to use this bindable
class that you and Alex have referred to?

Thanks for all of your help!!!  I've gone from over 2 hours down to 23
minutes!