>Yes: in general, never use 1 ton of frameworks if it can be done in 1 line
of code :)

I agree with Javier. However, you can go one step further.
If you just have to persist and fetch some data you could also get rid of
PHP.
There are a lot of database cloud services out there that provides a web
API. You could just fetch and persist your data by consuming such a web API.
At the end, you just have to implement some HTTP calls in your AIR app and
you have to convert the payload to your typed AS3 objects. No ZendAMF, PHP,
or whatever else needed!

Call it "MicroServices", "API driven development", "API first" or whatever.
It makes sense to think about it these days... the monolithic approach is
probably dead ;-)

BTW: I highly recommend you to check out also one of the NoSQL databases out
there like CouchDB, MongoDB and others.

HTH,
Olaf