On 05/02/2012 at 19:31, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions
<webmas...@krackedpress.com> wrote:

> Does the "User Data" dialog box come up on a new/clean install for LO
> .deb install anymore?

I simulated clean install (get test user and removed his ~/.libreoffice and
~/.openoffice.org folders) on my Debian testing box. On first run of
LibreOffice
there was no box asking for user information (like name, address, organization
or anything). I am using LO from Debian repository, so it is possible that
Debian Developers removed that box on startup, although I find it unlikely.

I don't have access to any Windows machine right now, so I don't know how
would Windows version behave.

> If Ubuntu 11.xx did not have Unity on
> it, but something like GNOME 2.x, I would update my system.  I just do
> not like to deal with my system with a desktop environment that makes it
> look like a tablet.

There is project called MATE, which is actually renamed GNOME 2. I believe it
is available in Linux Mint repositories. Mint has also Cinnamon, which is fork
of GNOME 3 changed to provide more traditional (GNOME 2-like) look-and-feel.

Linux Mint itself is based on Ubuntu (but there is also version based on
Debian testing).

You may want to give them a try, maybe you will like it. Personally I had much
better experience with Mint than with Ubuntu.
Mint's website: <http://linuxmint.com/>
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski