Great minds ... so that's what I did, created a new template.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8251533/New.Standard.Template.12.ott

this still crashed LO 3.5.1 on win7 when trying to save it as docx - but
doesn't crash when trying to save it on LO 3.4.4 on Ubuntu 11.10

Not sure if that counts as progress or not ...