Hi :)
I've heard Emacs is excellent.  Good choice.

It's pretty rare for LO to corrupt anything.  If anything goes wrong with a
document it's usually due to some other 3rd party tool (such as Word) and even
then it only seems to be DocX or in rare cases Doc.  We've only had a couple of
cases of Odts going wrong in the whole of the last 2 years as far as i can
remember.  Not bad out of 60million users!