Hi :)
Sorry about scaring you!  Hopefully you have picked up some good ways of doing
this from some of the other threads.

If the database is not small then there are tons of good back-ends any one of
which would be great to use.  I think Postgresql might be the best at the
moment but you might also enjoy using MySql/MariaDb instead and there are other
good ones.

Hopefully it should be reasonably easy to migrate the tables and doing so
should not affect tables and forms especially if they are built up from Queries
rather than directly from the tables.  If they were do directly refer to the
tables then they probably do need a bit of editing but hopefully nothing too
drastic.

Apols for not replying sooner!  I've just been a bit snowed under and anyway
Dan, Alex and others know far more about specifically Base itself so hopefully
someone has been able to give you much better help!
Regards from
tom :)