Thanks to all who offered assistance with this problem.

A couple of days back I decided to attack from a different direction. After all the "Change this", "Tweak that", "Edit such-and-such file" etc etc I figured that things were starting to get really messy. So the answer should be - Start again from a clean slate!!

I re-installed the OpSys and ran through all my set-up steps again. Now everything "seems" to be working fine again!! I guess some minor hiccup in the original installation of the new OpSys triggered the whole thing.

Will advise If I come across any "funnies"!!

Thanks again to all who helped out - greatly appreciated!!

IanW
Pretoria RSA