Hi :)
+1
I've not been a long term user (or contributor) of the site but i agree with
Dave Barton about this.

Maybe if a one or 2 of us could approach the owner?  Let him know there might
be a way for him to retain control but also make it easier for him to manage?
It sounds like a simple day-to-day chore took down the website and that could
be taken care of by someone or some organisation he could delegate that sort of
thing too?