Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

> On 08/13/2013 02:32 AM, Dave Barton wrote:
>> 1. http://www.oooforum.org The independent "unofficial" one Jim was
>> referring to. For reasons nobody has been able to explain, their server
>> is at best unreliable and frequently times out.
> oooforum was setup and is controlled by a single very busy person with
> no help from anyone else in any way. So, it uses resources available to
> this person and is maintained by this person. The other forum is
> maintained by a group of volunteers so there are more people to fix it.

Yes Andrew, I am fully aware of the history behind oooforum.org and the
number of times in 10+ years the owner has refused outside help. You & I
both remember in the early days of OOo it was proposed to merge the two
forums and Ed would not even join in the discussion. He may well be a
very busy person and as you observe in another post "you could call it a
sentimental attachment", but over the years users have contributed a
vast amount of useful material, which is all too frequently locked away
from other users because of his personal workload and/or sentimentality.

My original reply was not intended as a criticism, it was just note to
indicate that one of the two longest established forums was not always
accessible.