Thank you, all, for trying to help me.

I tried http://(ipaddress)/example.html on my Windows
PC, but still could not get example.html from my Linux
machine running Apache web server.

I also did:

- modified /etc/hosts on the Linux machine to have the
entry for my Windows PC

- ping from Linux to Windows using hostname without a
problem

- checked /etc/resolv.conf on Linux, it has a valid
DNS nameserver

- deleted "service http" entry in /etc/xinetd.conf in
Linux

but still not working.

On the Linux machine, I could do
file://hostname/example.html

but I could not do
http://hostname/example.html
it says "Not Found.  The requested URL /example.html
was not found on this server. Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
Server at (hostname) Port 80"

Thank you again.
Joe