--- Boyle Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

I modified /WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts, and
added an entry for my Linux machine.

> > - ping from Linux to Windows using hostname
> without a
> > problem
>
> Ping from Windows to Linux? If this don't work,
> http://(ipaddress)/example.html never will from PC.

I can ping from Windows to Linux by using hostname and
IP address. Both of them worked.

> > - checked /etc/resolv.conf on Linux, it has a
> valid
> > DNS nameserver
> >
> > - deleted "service http" entry in /etc/xinetd.conf
> in
> > Linux
> >
> > but still not working.
> >
> > On the Linux machine, I could do
> > file://hostname/example.html
> >
> > but I could not do
> > http://hostname/example.html
> > it says "Not Found.  The requested URL
> /example.html
> > was not found on this server. Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
> > Server at (hostname) Port 80"
>
> Excellent! The webserver is working and you can
> access it!
>
> It's just that it can't find the file. Try plain
> old:  http://hostname/ (which will deliver your
> DirectoryIndex file (you do have one, don't you?) Do
> you understand the relationship between URL and
> DocumentRoot? If you do, then request a file that
> you are sure exists in the docroot.

Ahh! I copied ~/example.html to
/usr/local/apache2/htdocs, and now I can run
http://(hostname)/example.html on Linux! That's great.
One problem solved.

However, when I tried to do the same thing from
Windows , it just kept processing....

I also tried from my Windows to do
telnet (linux hostanme)
and
telnet (linux hostanme) 80
But it just kept processing....

I think it may be the firewall that blocked port 80
between PC and Linux, but let ping go thru.

Thanks,
Joe

> [...]
> may be ignored.
>

> > Thank you again.
> > Joe
> >
> > --- Dan Trainor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Redhat
> > > Apache
> on my
> can
> > > see
> > > successful."

> PC),
> > > and
> could
> > > not

> > > "service
> "http

> know
> > > what

> > > (yourhostname) does not exist in DNS,
> apparently.
> > > If he's on a Windows
> > > machine, he needs to edit lmhosts and "fake" it.
>  If
> > > he's in Linux, you
> > > can modify /etc/hosts and designate that
> shorthand
> > > hostname to an IP,
> > > which would work.
> > >
> > > Either that, or modify an existing local DNS
> server,
> > > if you're really
> > > serious about it ;)
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > -dant

> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >    "   from the digest:
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> protection around
> > http://mail.yahoo.com

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >    "   from the digest:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche
> Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen Bezug zur Börsen- bzw.
> Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of
> a private and personal nature. It is not related to
> the exchange or business activities of the SWX
> Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et
> personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du
> Groupe SWX.
>

> This message is for the named person's use only. It
> may contain confidential, proprietary or legally
> privileged information. No confidentiality or
> privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.
> If you receive this message in error, please notify
> the sender urgently and then immediately delete the
> message and any copies of it from your system.
> Please also immediately destroy any hardcopies of
> the message. You must not, directly or indirectly,
> use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part
> of this message if you are not the intended
> recipient. The sender's company reserves the right
> to monitor all e-mail communications through their
> networks. Any views expressed in this message are
> those of the individual sender, except where the
> message states otherwise and the sender is
=== message truncated ===