The problem is the other way around - the windows PC needs to be able to
resolve the machine name of the Linux machine (see Hosts file).

> - ping from Linux to Windows using hostname without a
> problem

Ping from Windows to Linux? If this don't work, http://(ipaddress)/example.html
never will from PC.

> - checked /etc/resolv.conf on Linux, it has a valid
> DNS nameserver
>
> - deleted "service http" entry in /etc/xinetd.conf in
> Linux
>
> but still not working.
>
> On the Linux machine, I could do
> file://hostname/example.html
>
> but I could not do
> http://hostname/example.html
> it says "Not Found.  The requested URL /example.html
> was not found on this server. Apache/2.0.54 (Unix)
> Server at (hostname) Port 80"

Excellent! The webserver is working and you can access it!

It's just that it can't find the file. Try plain old:  http://hostname/ (which
will deliver your DirectoryIndex file (you do have one, don't you?) Do you
understand the relationship between URL and DocumentRoot? If you do, then
request a file that you are sure exists in the docroot.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

> Thank you again.
> Joe
>
> --- Dan Trainor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Joseph Lee wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am trying to run Apache web server on my Redhat
> > > Linux machine. I just installed and configured
> > Apache
> > > httpd-2.0.54, and entered "http://localhost"; on my
> > > browser (Mozilla). I was able to see "If you can
> > see
> > > this, it means the installation ... was
> > successful."
> > >
> > > However, when I went to another machine (a PC),
> > and
> > > entered http://(myhostname)/example.html, I could
> > not
> > > display the file on the PC. It just kept
> > > processing....
> > >
> > > I have modified /etc/xinetd.conf to include
> > "service
> > > http", and modified /etc/hosts.allow to add "http
> > > myPCIPaddress", but it did not help.
> > >
> > > I think it's networking problem, but I don't know
> > what
> > > else to do. (I can ping from PC to Linux).
> > >
> > > Any help would be highly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Joe
> > >

> > (yourhostname) does not exist in DNS, apparently.
> > If he's on a Windows
> > machine, he needs to edit lmhosts and "fake" it.  If
> > he's in Linux, you
> > can modify /etc/hosts and designate that shorthand
> > hostname to an IP,
> > which would work.
> >
> > Either that, or modify an existing local DNS server,
> > if you're really
> > serious about it ;)
> >
> > Thanks
> > -dant

> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >    "   from the digest:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat keinen
Bezug zur Börsen- bzw. Geschäftstätigkeit der SWX Gruppe. This e-mail is of a
private and personal nature. It is not related to the exchange or business
activities of the SWX Group. Le présent e-mail est un message privé et
personnel, sans rapport avec l'activité boursière du Groupe SWX.

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,
proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,
please notify the sender urgently and then immediately delete the message and
any copies of it from your system. Please also immediately destroy any
hardcopies of the message. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose,
distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended
recipient. The sender's company reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through their networks. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and
the sender is authorised to state them to be the views of the sender's company.