Dear Greg,

The reason why I say "we discover that sometimes apache will display" is
bcos the web-app normally will be served by resin. But as you keep on trying
to refresh and refresh for a number of times (usually >=5), the source code
will be printed on the browser as plain text.

- I am unable to spot any suspicious rules as I don't have any fancy fancy
stuff configured, the virtual host, ssl, and mod_rewrite seems to be working
fine (however, I assume it is fine because I get the result that I actually
wanted :D )
- It happens to all web-apps, I have 4 virtual hosts for this dedicated
apache 2 server.
- There are no difference between the working web-apps and not working
web-apps simply because all the web-apps have similar configurations. All 4
web-apps in my Apache 2 server faced the same symptoms.

Here is the snippet (however some of the values replaced):
<VirtualHost*:80>
  RewriteEngine on
  RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT}   ^80$
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^test\.some\.com$
  RewriteRule ^/(.*)         https://test.some.com/$1 [L,R]
  DocumentRoot /www/test
  ServerName test.some.com
  DirectoryIndex index.jsp
  ResinConfigServer 192.168.1.101 6802
  ResinConfigServer 192.168.1.102 6802
  CauchoStatus yes
</VirtualHost>

Hopefully I gave you more info this time :D
Thank you.

Warm Regards,
Jacky Wong