I am using apache 1.3 with a default install on windows XP.
Pretty much the only mod to the apache config I did was set the php
parameters (using as a module, not cgi), and the vhosts. Have each vhost
point to their own document root. Below is an example of how I set the
vhosts. I set vhost1 in the hosts file. That's about it.

<VirtualHost emp2>
    ServerAdmin [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    DocumentRoot c:/home/http/vhost1
    ServerName vhost1
        <Directory "c:/home/http/vhost1/">
                Options All
                AllowOverride none
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>

    ErrorLog logs/vhost12-error_log
    CustomLog logs/vhost1-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

As I said, I have seen this happen before at a company I used to work
for as well, but we were using mod_perl. They had set up a single server
with multiple vhosts for developers. It ended up in chaos because a perl
module in one vhost would end up being executed in the other vhosts.
It's not a problem except for files that are named the same.