In the meantime, I managed to find this, which I thought worth sharing in spite of the bad English grammar:

AB's Useful Box - Apache for Win32 Log file Rotation

So you have finished installing Apache for Win32, one of the best web servers you can get on your WinNT / Win2K / WinXP machine, but find that it's log files, access.log and error.log just keep on growing !

Well fear not, it is possible to manage those log files, and automate the process with out to much grief.

The following batch file, the was written and tested on WinXP, but should just as well on WinNT and Win2K, should:

    * store the current date and time into a varible
    * stop the Apache web service
    * move the log files, using the date/time as unique filename
    * restart the Apache web service
    * if prefered, use a command line zip utility to zip the logs
    * keep only the last "x" logs, and delete old

@echo off
:: Name - svrlogmng.bat
:: Description - Server Log File Manager
::
:: History
:: Date Authory Change
:: 22-May-2005 AGButler Original
::

:: ========================================================
:: setup variables and parameters
:: ========================================================

:: generate date and time varibles
for /f "tokens=2,3,4 delims=/ " %%i in ('date /T') do set trdt=%%k%%j%%i
for /f "tokens=1,2 delims=: " %%i in ('time /T') do set trtt=%%i%%j
set nftu=%trdt%%trtt%

:: set the Number Of Archives To Keep
set /a noatk=7

:: ========================================================
:: turn over log files
:: ========================================================

:: change to the apacge log file direcoty
cd "c:\program files\apache group\apache\logs\"

:: stop Apache Service, Move log files and restart Apache Service
net stop apache

echo %nftu% >> access.log
move "c:\program files\apache group\apache\logs\access.log" "c:\program
files\apache group\apache\logs\%nftu%_access.log"

echo %nftu% >> error.log
move "c:\program files\apache group\apache\logs\error.log" "c:\program
files\apache group\apache\logs\%nftu%_error.log"

net start apache

:: ========================================================
:: zip todays Access and Error log files, then delete old logs
:: ========================================================

:: zip the files
7za a -tzip %nftu%_logs.zip %nftu%_access.log %nftu%_error.log

:: del the files
del /Q %nftu%_*.log

:: ========================================================
:: rotate the zip files
:: ========================================================

:: make list of archive zip files
type NUL > arclist.dat
for /F "tokens=1,2 delims=[] " %%i in ('dir /B *_logs.zip ^| find /N
"_logs.zip"') do echo %%i = %%j>> arclist.dat

:: count total number of files
for /F "tokens=1 delims=" %%i in ('type arclist.dat ^| find /C "_logs.zip"') do
set tnof=%%i

:: setup for and create the deletion list
set /a negtk=%noatk%*-1
set /a tntd=%tnof% - %noatk%

type NUL>dellist.dat
for /L %%i in (%negtk%,1,%tntd%) do find " %%i = " arclist.dat >> dellist.dat

:: del the old files
for /F "tokens=3 delims= " %%i in ('find "_logs.zip" dellist.dat') do del /Q %%i

:: remove temp files
del /Q arclist.dat
del /Q dellist.dat

:end

The command line 7za zip utility is available from http://www.7-zip.org

The best method is to just put the 7za.exe file into your system32 folder.

Then it is just a matter of calling the batch file from the windows scheduler. On WinNT this is done on the commend line via AT and on WinXP this is done via Scheduled Tasks found in the Control Panel.

Some other things that can be done after the files have been moved, but before they are zipped, it to produce statistics from the access.log data. For example, how many times pages are being visited and from where.