mod deflate from my understanding will always send the Vary header.
it does it because it *might* do something to the content on subsequent
requests.

Whilst for you proxies are not important it doesn't mean it isn't
important for everyone else - ditto using the standards :)

I guess your application is an intranet one ? - hence running ie 6 with
the http/1.0 ?

You'll probably discover a number of other modules that will also set
the Vary header - things like mod_negotiation or mod_substitute
I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got this wrong.