On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 1:28 AM, J. Peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just think Apache's mod_deflate has a weak point.
>  When client doesn't declare it accept encoding, apache returns an
>  uncompressed object, but for this object mod_deflate also returns a
>  "Vary: Accept-Encoding" header.
>  This make some browsers be confused. In fact my current IE6 sp2 can't
>  download that object.

That is not a weak point. It is a requirement of the HTTP standard and
its absence would result in incorrect content being sent to some
clients using proxy caches. Its purpose is to instruct caches that
they can only send the cached response to browsers that use the same
Accept-Encoding header as the original client.

You can get rid of it with
SetEnvIf MSIE force-no-vary
but doing this will possibly result in bad responses to browsers using caches.

If MSIE really can't handle a Vary header, then it is terminally
broken. I suspect the problem is more likely in something else that
you are doing, since many millions of servers send this header to MSIE
without any problems.

For example, why are you forcing MSIE to use HTTP/1.0 requests in the
first place?

Joshua.