"dave selby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is there a way for me to turn off if-modified-since so the client
> browser will ALWAYS use its locally cached document

Dave,

Usually sending an Expires header will tell browsers to mostly use a
cached version.  I use something like this to set my expires time to
quite a bit in the future:

   <Directory /path/to/dir>
      ExpiresActive On
      ExpiresDefault A86400000
   </Directory>

This is part of mod_expires:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_expires.html

Also, it would really surprise me if Apache used the parent directory
in deciding about IMS requests.  You might want to do some simple
experiments to verify this is what it's doing.

----Scott.