On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:13:51 +0100, "dave selby"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>2008/9/12 Scott Gifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> "dave selby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>>> Is there a way for me to turn off if-modified-since so the client
>>> browser will ALWAYS use its locally cached document
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> Usually sending an Expires header will tell browsers to mostly use a
>> cached version.  I use something like this to set my expires time to
>> quite a bit in the future:
>>
>>   <Directory /path/to/dir>
>>      ExpiresActive On
>>      ExpiresDefault A86400000
>>   </Directory>
>>
>> This is part of mod_expires:
>>
>>    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_expires.html
>>
>> Also, it would really surprise me if Apache used the parent directory
>> in deciding about IMS requests.  You might want to do some simple
>> experiments to verify this is what it's doing.
>
>Thank you, thats useful. Something odd is definitely happening.
>
>That part of my app as of last night is in pieces (joys of software
>development) but I am hopeing to rebuild it over the next couple of
>days. I will do some experiments & repost here.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up Etags on wikipedia -- most
interesting, in relation to caching, and what apache uses for
generation and comparison.

In short etags are like a cookie.. for changed/unchanged content, and
is used in combination with the date-time stamp, with preference given
for the e-tag Z(different e-tag = different content)...  changing the
inode of a file changes the e-tag...  Apache has mechanisms for
controlling etag generation...

Re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_ETag
    http://www.iwaw.net/04/Clausen.pdf -- (paragraph: 10)towards the
end... (worth reading the whole thing) -- details are a little buried,
pointing toward further research in Apache docs/code.