André Warnier wrote:
3d try :

supposes mod_setenvif, mod_rewrite, mod_header

 RewriteEngine on
 RewriteLog /var/log/apache2/mysite/rewrite.log
 RewriteLogLevel 9   (so we see what's happening)

 <Location /thelocation>

 # 1) check if there is a trigger header and set a var if so
 SetEnvIf If-modified-since (.*) wants_cache=1
 # 2) but unset the var if it's *not* an image request
 # (to let Apache handle that normally)
 SetEnvIf Request_URI !\.(gif|png|jpg)$ !wants_cache
 # 3) next, the condition is that the variable wants_cache is set
 RewriteCond %{ENV:wants_cache} ^1$
 # 4) and if so, we send a "not modified" response
 RewriteRule ^.*$ - [R=304,L]

 </Location>

Worth a try ?
(I'm learning mod_rewrite as I go along, I hope)