On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 6:20 AM, Richard Peacock
<richard.peac...@minorplanet.com> wrote:
> Lol, good answer Krist!
>
> Although many people have tried to prevent things like right-click and
> grabbing of files from their websites, they are all bypassable in one
> way or another ;)

Grabbing a page means downloading a page. Browsing a page means the
same thing. If you want to prevent grabbing, you have to prevent
people from accessing the site at all. Even if you found a way to
block clients like wget and curl (there is none), people could still
just browse your site and click File > Save Page. Besides, wget and
curl are not exactly nefarious programs. Sure, people can be really
annoying with them, but they are used for perfectly legitimate
purposes, so blocking their user agents is only going to annoy people
who are using them legitimately, and not stop those who aren't.

It's really not clear why this is such a concern for you? If there's
stuff on your site that you don't want to people to have, why is it on
your site? You can set up access restrictions so that a username and
password are required, you can use SSL to prevent eavesdroppers from
getting stuff that other people are looking at. But ultimately,
putting something on your publicly accessible site is offering it up
to be downloaded...that's what a site is.

If you're just trying to prevent people from using all your bandwidth
doing automated mass  downloads, there are some techniques you can use
to throttle access rates.

Why don't you tell us exactly what content you have that you're so
worried about and who you're trying to prevent doing what to it, and
maybe we can figure out the right way to help you.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/