Eric Covener wrote:
On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
If I need to be more clear : URL-to-URL is what mod_rewrite *does*, all the
time, in every single example shown in the pages on the Apache website.  So
what else do you want ?

This is a bit of an over-simplification.  Outside of per-dir and PT
your substitution is generally treated as a filesystem path.

As a convenience, when the top-level directory of your substitution
doesn't exist in the filesystem mod_rewrite prefixes the entire thing
with the current DocumentRoot on its way out.  This impacts rewriting
to e.g. htdocs/{etc,lib,usr,home,var}, tilde-expansion, or other
mappers like mod_alias (bringing us back to PT).  This is why you're
able to break out of your DocumentRoot and Aliases with the
substitution (and adding the corresponding <Directory>.... Allow ...
block)

It's trickier with the PT flag (or per-dir, where PT is implicit), but
I think it is fair to say that it's generally treated as a URL in that
context.

Ricardo, take note.
That's why I stick to the mailing list, and don't even try patches..
;-)