2009/5/4 Rex C. Eastbourne <rex.eastbou...@gmail.com>:
> 2009/5/4 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>:
>> [...]
>> how much of RAM do you have on that machine?
>>

> 512 MB. Not a lot, I know, but I had thought it would be sufficient to
> run a website with low traffic like mine.
>

>> Do you use ubuntu's apache package(s)? Don't you have too much of useless
>> modules loaded?
>>

> Through apt-get I have installed Apache2 and mod_python. I don't have
> many useless modules loaded; baseline memory usage is only around 60
> MB.
>
> Any ideas? Is it normal for there to be dozens of Apache processes like this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rex

Hi Rex,

it's quite normal: as more visitors come along, more apache processess
will be spawned. You can set up how much processes are reserved, how
many are allowed and so on. Just have a look in your server config.

One apache process will consume as much RAM as your most complex page
will require to render. So if you serve different, static and simple
HTML files 10000 and one php script using 200MB of ram, one process
will use 200MB at least.

You should tweak your config by calculating how many processes your
server will handle with the installed application on it.
You'll find a lot of pages describing the optimization process and the
needed config-options. Try Google or look into the apache docs! All
options and the stuff I was writing is well described there.

Bye, Jan