Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:00:54 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 16:24:25 +0100, Tom Evans wrote:

HostNameLookups
HostNameLookups Off
in the only place it appears.  Perhaps I should compare all files in
conf.d on my two machines.

Mike.

[...]

I did the comparison and the contents of conf.d on my two
boxes are identical except that the Fedora box has
BackupPC.conf, which does not appear on the CentOS box.
Examining BackupPC.conf, it appears to me to have
nothing relevant.

Of course you realise that nobody here is really believing you..
;-)
I mean, here are two Linux systems, with the same kind of processor, not too different versions of kernel nor apache, and identical (to some extent) config files.
Yet one appears to do tons of DNS lookups, and the other one not.
Logic would have it that there /is/ something different somewhere in either the configuration, or some file(s) you are not thinking about right now, that make the difference.
You mentioned that you saw the DNS lookups in wireshark.
Can you tell what these DNS lookups are for ?
Have you compared the DNS setup of the servers (meaning their /etc/resolv.conf and e.g. whether one of them is running dnsmasq and the other one not, or something like that) ?